Author Topic: N-word Etiquette? When is the N-word OK? True Story.  (Read 2377 times)

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
    • Digital images printed to color slides.
N-word Etiquette? When is the N-word OK? True Story.
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:39:54 PM »
I was in rural Georgia a couple weeks ago and four young black men aged 18 to 20 were standing around talking.  I walked past them to my car behind them, and I got some stuff out of my trunk and then I walked back past them. 

During that time I was listening to them talk back and forth and they were saying stuff with the N-word in every sentence!  Like, "that N-word did this and that N-word did that." 

I'm not used to hearing that and I felt uncomfortable hearing it.  They said it so often in those 5 minutes and it seemed very easy for them to talk that way.  I didn't like it and I didn't think it was appropriate to ever use that word.  Although, I guess its OK for them to say it in their own little group.

I thought about saying something to chastise them because I knew 3 of them, but I kept my mouth shut and I minded my own business.

My questions are:

• When is it appropriate to use the N-word in your conversation?
  • When is it OK for the N-word to be used?
  • Is it OK for black people to use the N-word, and it's not OK for anyone else?
  • Should the N-word be banned from conversation?

These were thoughts that came to my mind that day.  What do you think?

Convert your favorite digital images to easy to store 35mm color slides! Preserve them on slides before your hard drive fails.  Our slides last for decades and serious artists use our slides for juried shows, college applications and craft shows.
http://www.colorslide.com/