MixedCouples.info

Bookmark or Share MixedCouples.info with Friends.Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: What do you think of interracial relationships?  (Read 10852 times)

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
    • Digital images printed to color slides.
What do you think of interracial relationships?
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
OK everyone... This is the very first question on this forum.  I'm wondering what you think of mixed couples?  For instance, you see a lot of black men with white women, but you don't see a lot of black women with white men.  Why is that? 

As for me, I'm a white man who married his beautiful black girlfriend a couple months ago.  We're very happy, so obviously we love mixed couples!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:51:35 PM by George »
Convert your favorite digital images to easy to store 35mm color slides! Preserve them on slides before your hard drive fails.  Our slides last for decades and serious artists use our slides for juried shows, college applications and craft shows.
http://www.colorslide.com/

Offline Toyota tacoma

Re: What do you think of interracial relationships?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
  Well George,  I think If any two people find love in this short time that we are here on this earth. May god Bless them. Because I think we all should live happy and free to love any body we want. This is the new Day.  The sad thing is when you put a limitation on who you are going to love. You can' do that . After all Do we find love are do love find us.  So how can you choose. I say love human race I'm done. Thank you.

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
Amen Brother!
Convert your favorite digital images to easy to store 35mm color slides! Preserve them on slides before your hard drive fails.  Our slides last for decades and serious artists use our slides for juried shows, college applications and craft shows.

Offline Thanos

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:56:46 AM »
I think they are great, as I am currently in one  ;D.

I am a white man who has been dating a black woman for almost two years now.  We have alot of shared interests and activities. 

Sometimes we get flack from ignorant people, but for the most part, people around where we live don't bother us.  I hope that someday this will be a non-issue, other than people seeing differences as interesting, not as a problem or something to hate.

I think that if two people can find each other, relate to each other and love each other, then that is more than most people in this world have!   8)

As far as your question goes, I would say that the reason that there have not been alot of black woman/white man relationships (at least, not historically or out in the open) is that there are alot of stereotypes about each, and sometimes people cave in and are not willing to deal with whatever prejudice is thrown their way, in order to be with the person that they care about.  I work with teens and I am always hearing their opinions as to what I am like (usually based on nothing more than my appearance), what type of music I listen to, what TV channels I watch, etc.  I can only imagine that the same is true for other ethnicities, as well  :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:00:40 AM by Thanos »

Offline Thanos

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:04:19 AM »
PS. On a side note, last year, I got the honor of meeting Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura from Star Trek).  When my girlfriend asked me why I was waiting in line to get Ms. Nichols' autograph, I explained to her that the characters Lt. Uhura and Captain Kirk shared one of the first (if not the first) inter-racial kisses on television, and that because that happened, that it has made it easier for the two of us (years later) to walk down the street together. 

My girlfriend must have liked what she heard, because she ended up paying for an autographed picture, as well!  :)

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
PS. On a side note, last year, I got the honor of meeting Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura from Star Trek).  When my girlfriend asked me why I was waiting in line to get Ms. Nichols' autograph, I explained to her that the characters Lt. Uhura and Captain Kirk shared one of the first (if not the first) inter-racial kisses on television, and that because that happened, that it has made it easier for the two of us (years later) to walk down the street together.  

My girlfriend must have liked what she heard, because she ended up paying for an autographed picture, as well!  :)

That is so true!  I had forgotten about that and I'm a big "Trekkie" from back at the beginning and all of the other Star Trek variations since then.  I remember seeing that scene years ago, but I didn't think much of it.  I didn't realize the social significance of it either.  

I was raised to be unaware of racial prejudices since my family didn't push any prejudices on me.  My first babysitter that I recall was a black lady.  There were a few black kids in my school growing up and they were my friends.  They came to my house and I went to their house.  I finally got up the nerve to date a black girl when I was 18.  

OK, that's enough about me.  Thanks for posting your thoughts!

ADDED 1-13-09:

"Nichelle Nichols, an African American, played Lt. Uhura. Nichols shared television's first interracial kiss with "Star Trek's" brash Captain James T. Kirk, played by William Shatner."  This quote came from the following story on Star Trek's 40th anniversary:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?id=2412318&page=1

ADDED 1-17-09:

I stumbled upon the original video today.  It brought back a memory of that episode and if I remember correctly, they were forced to kiss for the entertainment of some God-like Dude.  See it below:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=interracial&b=169&ei=UTF-8&tnr=21&vid=000164982996

ADDED 5-31-09:

Today we went to see the new Star Trek movie, Star Trek XI! (Movie number 11 for you non-roman numeral types)  It was awesome!  Now they have a new set of younger people playing the characters so they can continue the movie series.  I won't tell you anything about it except for one secret... Uhura and Spock had the hots for each other and THEY were kissing.  Unbelievable!  Anyways, it's still interracial because she's Human and he's Vulcan.  Go see the movie, it's very entertaining.  You'll enjoy it even if you're not a Trekkie!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:28:13 PM by George »

Offline shmiles

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
I would love to have her autograph too. I just love interracial couples. I wish there was more out there.  :)

Offline Stacidoctor

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »
Interracial relationships have been somewhat normalized in my eyes.  I am a Black woman and I was married to a White man for 16 years.  My sister has been married to a White man for 27 years, and my father was half Black half White although I never knew him.

While I was married my ex was in the military, so wherever we lived there was always a healthy mix of interracial and mixed-international marriage combinations.

I now live in a part of Oregon where there are not many Blacks (less that .1% of the population), so my dating options have to out of necessity include non-Black men.

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I'm really glad this question came up. I think interracial relationships are great, but challenging.  For that reason, I always try to smile at black women and white men I see out and about.  I live in the Northeast and we're definitely in the minority as far as interracial couples go. My boyfriend and I get stared at all the time, but we just ignore it.  I admit that I used to really let it get to me because it made me uncomfortable.  We'd be in a restaurant and people sitting at other tables would turn completely in our direction and just watch everything we did.  It takes courage and a strong sense of self to date a white man in my neck of the woods.  But, I do see more couples like us than I did a few years ago.  Even though it's the 21st century, people still tend to segregate here.  There is still a way to go when it comes to crossing the color line. Does anyone else think so?   

Offline awkrogh

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
Hi George. I work with your brother, Bob. I'm an African American woman married to a white man. My husband is Irish Norwegian mix. We have two lovely daughters. My sister is married to a white male also. We were also raised with no prejudices. My family doesn't see color at all...only ignorance. I know so many mixed couples, that to take a picture of all of our friends at once, you'd see almost every race and nationality all getting along and loving life. A melting pot utopia, if you will. When we get together there is a feeling that this is how life should be.
I think that when you enter an interracial relationship, you accept that and naturally gravitate to those like you knowing that "we get it". And that humans are, regardless of color, simply humans.

Offline NYWM

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »
Congratulations and good luck, George. I am happy to see that other white men appreciate African-American women. I am also happy to know about AA women, such as Awkrogh, who have such a wonderful attitude.

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
I think that when you enter an interracial relationship, you accept that and naturally gravitate to those like you knowing that "we get it". And that humans are, regardless of color, simply humans.

That's exactly right!  I hadn't thought about that before, and I'm glad you pointed it out.  We do indeed "get it" and I wish everyone would get it also.  We are all part of one big "race" called the Human Race.  Say hi to Bob for me and please tell the other mixed couples you know about this website for us.  I came up with this site 2 weeks after Obama's election because now it seems like a good time to promote racial harmony!

Offline awkrogh

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
Thanks George. I will let me friends know of this site as well as tell your bro hi. I'm also on facebook if you and Sharon ever want to talk there.
Have a lovely new year!

Offline casweetnezz

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
I feel that if you find a special person that have the same interest and qualities that you have and you're truly happy, color shouldn't matter.  I've dated a man of a different race and in my younger years and basically wasn't ready for the ignorance of other people.  Now that I’m wiser, if I had the opportunity to date someone of a different race I would strongly consider.  You can't judge a person by their ethnicity.

Offline bigmike1119

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
I myself, love black women. My uncle married a black woman & my stepfather disowned him. If you treat them right they will bend over backwards for you, & treat you like a king. I am fortunate in living in a liberal neighborhood so when you see interracial couples together nothing is thought of it. I'm still looking maybe one of these days I'll get lucky... Girls I'm a good cook, come over I'll cook you dinner. ;D
Mikey

ColorSlide.com is your source for color slides or negatives from digital images and more!