Author Topic: The new Star Trek Movie  (Read 2295 times)

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
    • Digital images printed to color slides.
The new Star Trek Movie
« on: May 31, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »
Wow!  Today we went to see the new Star Trek movie, Star Trek XI! (That's movie number 11 for you non-roman numeral types.)  It was awesome!  Now they have a new set of younger people playing the original characters so they can continue with the movie series. 

If you're wondering what this has to do with interracial relationships, then I'll tell you.  Read the following thread and you'll see.  This was one of the original posts when I started this Forum and it's the most read.

"What do you think of interracial relationships?"   http://www.mixedcouples.info/smf/index.php?topic=3.0

It mentions the original Star Trek TV series and a member posted about how Captain Kirk and Lt. Uhura were the first interracial kiss on TV back in the 1960s. 

Fast-forward almost 50 years to today.  We saw the Star Trek movie this afternoon and I won't tell you anything about it except for one secret... Uhura and Spock had the hots for each other and THEY were kissing!  Unbelievable! 

Anyways, it's still interracial because she's Human and he's Vulcan.  Go see the movie, it's very entertaining.  You'll enjoy it even if you're not a Trekkie!  But, you may need a Trekkie to explain a few things to you afterwards if you're not familiar with the original TV series. 
Convert your favorite digital images to easy to store 35mm color slides! Preserve them on slides before your hard drive fails.  Our slides last for decades and serious artists use our slides for juried shows, college applications and craft shows.
http://www.colorslide.com/

Offline George

• Administrator
  • Sharon and I
    • Digital images printed to color slides.
Re: The new Star Trek Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »
On a related note, do you realize how much Star Trek has contributed to our society and our world? 

Star Trek had an interracial crew consisting of all of the races on Earth plus races from other planets.  They promoted interracial harmony and gave us hope that we could grow out of the interracial conflicts of the 1960s and hope that we could come together as one human race.  Plus, we could peacefully coexist with races from other planets and work together with them towards a common goal of intergalactic peace. 

Computers were on the original TV series and they inspired people to try to invent them.  The desktop computers on Star Trek looked like today's laptops with flat screens but no keyboards.  They were voice activated with speech recognition and the computer would talk back.

The original TV series had communicators to talk over great distances and they looked just like today's cell phones that flip open.  One day, perhaps our cell phones will work everywhere without the cell towers and dropped calls as well.  LOL!

The next incarnation of Star Trek was the Next Generation TV series.  Those Star Fleet personnel walked around with a hand held computer called a "pad."  They would read stuff on it and input info into it.  It looks just like my new iPhone!  Only my iPhone is smaller than those devices.  My iPhone has a new voice recognition application that I have used to update my status on FaceBook.  I talk and it types it and it's very cool!

The Star Trek Next Generation TV series also came up with the touch screen idea.  The pads mentioned above had touch screens as did all of the computer consoles that they used. 

The Star Trek space exploration theme has inspired people all over the world to work on the space programs in several countries.  Much of that space research has spun off additional consumer products that we use every day.  They're too numerous to mention here, but if you think of more, post them here!  It has been amazing when you pause to think about it. 
Convert your favorite digital images to easy to store 35mm color slides! Preserve them on slides before your hard drive fails.  Our slides last for decades and serious artists use our slides for juried shows, college applications and craft shows.
http://www.colorslide.com/